Søg
 

The Danish Healthcare System

The Danish healthcare system is universal and based on the principles of free and equal access to healthcare for all citizens. The healthcare system offers high-quality services, the majority of which are financed by general taxes.



The healthcare system operates across three political and administrative levels: the state, the regions and the municipalities (national, regional and local levels). 

The state holds the overall regulatory and supervisory functions in health and elderly care. The five regions are primarily responsible for the hospitals, the general practitioners (GPs) and psychiatric care. The 98 municipalities are responsible for a number of primary healthcare services as well as for elderly care.

Approximately 84 per cent of healthcare expenditure is publicly financed (2015). The remaining 16 per cent is financed primarily through patient co-payments. Public expenditure on healthcare accounts for 30 per cent of total public expenditures (EUR 20.7 billion). In 2014, the Danish healthcare expenditure amounted to 10.6 per cent of GDP, which is more than the OECD average of 9.0 per cent.

Read more


Oprettet
16.07.18
Opdateret
05.03.19
Link til denne side:
​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​